This super easy soup recipe has been a favorite of ours for a while now! It’s nice and hearty, perfect for the cooler, fall weather. My favorite evenings are lounging in yoga pants, sipping a glass of wine and savoring this delicious soup.
We originally found this potato, sausage and kale soup recipe from the Publix Apron counter (love their recipes!) and it has been part of our cook book ever since!
Potato, Sausage and Kale Soup Ingredients
- 1/2 lb ground chicken or turkey Italian sausage (we used a combination of regular Italian sausage and turkey sausage – it has more flavor!)
- 1 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups chopped kale greens (about 8 oz)
- 1 (48 oz) box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (the Publix recipe calls for the heavy cream, we don’t add it into our version
- Preheat a large stock pot on medium for 2 – 3 minutes
- While the pot is heating up, slice the onions and halve the potatoes, then slice thinly
- Place ground sausage (you can buy it this way or you can removing the casing from sausage links) in pan, brown 5 – 7 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains
- Stir in onions, cook 1 -2 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in potatoes, broth, salt, seasoning, and kale; cook and stir 12 – 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender (since I didn’t cut the potatoes as thinly as they recommended, it took a little longer to cook and soften)
- Puree soup lightly using stick blender (or potato masher) until smooth
- This is the step that has you stir in the cream (we skip this step every time)
LOVE IT? SHARE IT! PIN THE IMAGE BELOW!
What are you planning on making for Thanksgiving? Are you hosting or bringing a side? Tell me in the comments below!