This St. Patrick’s Day is going to be filled with lots of celebrating with friends and family (more details of our celebration coming soon!) and I want to make sure there’s enough festive treats to go around. So, when I found this St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow Chex Mix recipe from Gal on a Mission, I just had to give it a try!
- 5 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 bag of green candy melts (I used 2 bars of Baker’s White Chocolate and added in green food coloring)
- 1 drop of peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Green sprinkles
After trying this out, I made a few modifications to make this a little easier. My step-by-step directions are below.
- Add the rice Chex cereal to a large mixing bowl and then set aside.
- Pour the candy melts or white chocolate bars into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 30-second intervals stirring after each, until they are melted OR use a double boiler and melt the chocolate in a pan, once the chocolate or candy is melted add in a few drops of green food coloring and a drop of peppermint extract and stir together
- Add the powdered sugar into a ziplock bag and set aside.
- Instead of pouring the melted chocolate into the large mixing bowl with the Chex cereal, take another large mixing bowl and slowly add the two mixtures together. It was very challenging to mix together the 5 cups of cereal and chocolate together in the one large bowl. It is much easier to add them together in a separate bowl to ensure all the cereal is covered in chocolate.
- Once all 5 cups are covered in the chocolate, pour the mixture into the ziplock bag and seal tight. Shake the bag until all of the cereal pieces are covered. Add the sprinkles to the mixture and shake again.
- Pour the St. Patrick’s Day Puppy Chow onto a large sheet and allow it to cool. Store in an airtight bag for up to 5 days.